The Head Bartender is the driver of the cocktail program at Hotel Vermont. He or she will be responsible for developing enticing beverage and cocktail menus based on Vermont micro distillery products, micro brews and wines, combined with the best in regional ingredients. The Head Bartender is responsible for the inventory and for all beverages for Juniper Bar and Restaurant. He or she will conduct training for team members, update wine- and cocktail menus and keep our beverage program in line with the rest of the style of our hotel and restaurant.
He/She will work closely with the Food & Beverage Service Manager to provide leadership and coordinate all activities on the restaurant/lobby bar during the daily shifts. The Head Bartender will interact with restaurant guests, team members and other departments, always ensuring that every guest will have a memorable dining or bar experience. The Head Bar Tender plays a significant role in setting the mood and pace in Juniper, carefully judging guest behavior and needs.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with beverage vendors and distributors.
• Conducts and participates in tastings and selections.
• Conducts inventories as per company standards.
• Maintains and assists with development of new wine lists and cocktail menus.
• Works closely with the Food & Beverage Service Manager.
• Trains and coaches team members.
• Creates and implements programs to create new business.
• Upholds and monitors all brand standards in the F&B operation.
• Manages and supports breakfast, lunch, light fare and dinner shifts.
• Focuses on floor services standards and guest relations.
• Focuses on daily closing of the restaurant and the lobby bar.
• Conducts daily pre-shift meetings and monthly department meetings.
• Communicates effectively with guests, team members and other departments.
• Assists in maintaining budgets and forecasts regarding sales, food, liquor, operating items and payroll.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• The ideal candidate will have at least two years of current Bar experience in a high pace restaurant or bar environment.
• Restaurant floor supervisory experience and bar supervisory experience preferred
• Must have previous inventory experience.
• Certification as a bartender, wine professional or sommelier is a plus.
• Must have advanced knowledge of local spirits, wines and general beverage service.
• Must have strong positive leadership skills and the ability to motivate people to deliver memorable service.
• Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and possesses current computer literacy, including a restaurant POS System. Micros experience is a plus.
• Is able to meet deadlines, work under pressure, handle multiple tasks and work independently.
• Some experience in hiring, training and developing service oriented staff for all positions in the restaurant is preferred.
• Must be able to work flexible long hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
• Previous hotel work experience is a plus.